Water leaks and upstairs neighbours

John Conlin / 25 November 2016

What can you do if the upstairs neighbours won’t stop a water leak?


Water repeatedly comes through my kitchen ceiling. I have spoken to the occupiers of the flat above but they deny any responsibility.  

The managing agents believe the cause is a faulty washing machine or dishwasher and have written to the flat owner without response.

What can I do?

12 tips to help you avoid cowboy builders


Whether you are a long leasehold owner or a short term tenant you are entitled to ‘Quiet enjoyment’, a legal term requiring your landlord to prevent your occupation being disrupted.

Decide exactly what is necessary to repair the damage, get three written quotations from reputable contractors and send these to the managing agent (or your landlord if you are a short term tenant) saying that you will deduct the cost from the service charge or rent every time damage occurs.

How to find a reliable builder

For more tips from John Conlin visit the
Chartered Surveyor Q&A section

Try 3 issues of Saga Magazine for just £3

Subscribe today for just £3 for 3 issues...

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.