1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Grease and line three large baking trays.
2. In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
3. Add the flour and egg yolk and mix together until fully combined.
4. Empty onto a floured surface and roll out to 1cm thick.
5. Using a shaped cookie cutter, cut out your shapes and place on the baking trays. Use a smaller cookie cutter to take out the centre of each biscuit.
6. Pop one of the boiled sweets into the open centre of each biscuit and bake in the preheated over for 15–20 minutes. Remove from the oven when the biscuits are lightly golden and the boiled sweets fully melted.
7. Allow to cool completely on the trays before removing and packaging. This will allow the clear centre to harden completely.
Giving as a gift
These shortbreads are ideal to use as Christmas decorations on the tree! Cut a little hole into the biscuit before baking, which is where you can thread ribbon to hang. When the light catches the clear coloured centre, it will give a stained glass sparkle! Package in a handmade double-ended box or stack in a tower and fasten with ribbons.
Thanks to Gifts From Your Kitchen by Deborah Nicholas. for this recipe