Do I need a new damp-proof course?

John Conlin / 05 September 2017

Is a damaged damp-proof course really causing damp in a bedroom? John Conlin urges caution and seeking an impartial opinion...


I have a damp problem in the bedroom of my bungalow. 

I asked a damp-proofing firm to investigate, and they say I need a new damp-proof course as the present one has been damaged by water draining from my neighbour's land onto the path adjoining the wall of my bedroom. 

Does that sound likely?

How to choose a dehumidifier.


Like most things there are good and bad damp proofing firms but you are right to be cautious. It can be like asking a fox to count the chickens. 

Providing the surface of the adjoining path or soil is at least a couple of inches below the line of the damp proof course, it is unlikely to have been damaged. 

There are many other possible causes, so you really should get an impartial opinion from a local chartered building surveyor. You can find a surveyor on the RICS website

For more tips from John Conlin visit the
Chartered Surveyor Q&A section

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.