- 175g FREEE Plain White Flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp FREEE Xanthan Gum
- ¼ tsp FREEE Bicarbonate of Soda
- 75g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 50g golden syrup
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 egg yolk
- Oil, for trays
For the decoration (optional)
- 100g icing sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- Writing icing for decoration
To make the biscuits
1. Rub oil around the inside of two baking trays or insert a cake liner.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, 350°F, gas 4.
3. Measure the flour, mixed spice, xanthan gum and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir to combine.
4. Put the sugar, butter and syrup into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally until dissolved.
5. Pour the melted mixture into the prepared flour and mix lightly.
6. Grate the lemon rind into the bowl and stir again.
7. Add the egg yolk and stir to gather together a soft dough.
8. Lightly dust the work surface and rolling pin.
9. Roll out the dough to the thickness of 2 x £1 coins.
10. Press the bunny cookie cutter into the dough and transfer the cut shapes to the prepared baking trays.
11. Gather the left-over dough into a ball, roll it out again and cut more shapes.
12. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
13. Leave to cool on the tray.
1. Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice and stir until a syrup forms.
2. Spread the icing over the cold bunny-shaped biscuits and leave until set.
3. When the icing has set, decorate the biscuits with coloured icing.
FREEE products are available online at www.freee-foods.co.uk, Ocado, all major retailers, traditional wholesalers, food service, independent health food stores and farm shops.
Visit our gluten-free recipe section for more delicious ideas for meals, bakes and more