Carrots add sweetness and help keep this delicious cake moist and light.
For the cake
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 175g dark brown sugar
- 130 130ml Cotswold Gold extra virgin cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 200g grated carrots
- 100g pitted dates
For the icing
- 110g cream cheese
- 55g unsalted butter
- 110g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Prepare an 8-inch diameter deep tin and pre-heat the oven to 160C.
- Sift together the flour, raising agents and spices.
- In a food processor, beat the eggs and gradually add the sugar.
- Add Cotswold Gold rapeseed oil slowly.
- Pulse the dry ingredients and carrots (don't over-process).
- Add the dates to the mixture.
- Bake at 160C for 35 mins.
To make the icing
Add all the icing ingredients together and then cover cake once it is cold.
Our thanks to Cotswold Gold for permission to use this recipe.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.