1. In a small bowl, mix the cheese, cranberries and chives together.
2. Place the steaks on a chopping board and slice in half horizontally. Spread two steak halves. Top with the remaining steak halves.
3. Secure the steaks with butcher’s string or cocktail sticks. Season with salt and roll in the crushed pepper.
4. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the steaks according to your preference*. Transfer to a warm plate and rest for a few minutes.
5. Remove the string or cocktail sticks from the steaks before serving with any pan juices and the potato and onion bake.
Steak cooking times
(based on a 2-3cm/¾-1¼inch thick steak) Rare: 3-4 minutes on each side Medium: 4-5 minutes on each side Well done: 6-7 minutes on each side. Find out more about cooking the perfect steak.
Potato and onion bake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C/350°F.
2. Rinse the potatoes in cold running water, drain and pat dry in a thick tea towel or absorbent kitchen paper.
3. Grease a shallow ovenproof dish (approximately 20cm x15cm/8inch x 6inch and 2.5cm/1inch depth) with half the butter and place a layer of potatoes over the base of the dish. Top with a layer of onions and season.
4. Repeat until all the vegetables are used, finishing with a neat potato layer and press down firmly.
5. Pour over the stock and dot with the remaining butter. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
6. Serve with the fillet steaks.
Our thanks to Red Tractor for providing this recipe.
Red Tractor beef and lamb has launched ‘Festive Fairies’, to give mums and dads a helping hand at Christmas. For more festive recipe ideas for all the family click here.