1. Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl with half the milk. Whisk until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer, place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use.
2. To make the blackberry and apple mixture, peel, core and slice the apples and place in a medium pan with the water and caster sugar. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are almost tender.
3. Stir well then stir in the blackberries. Cover and simmer for a further 3 minutes. Taste the mixture and add more sugar to your taste. Leave to cool slightly.
4. Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe it around with a piece of kitchen paper. Now pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 minutes or until the top is set and the base golden. Turn the pancake over with a spatula or if you are feeling brave, flip the pancake!
5. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the base is golden. Transfer to a plate and interleave with greaseproof paper, keep warm. Use the batter and a little more oil to make further 7-9 pancakes in the same way (depending upon their thickness). Serve with the hot blackberry and apple mixture, ice cream and a sprinkling of sugar.
Our thanks to British Lion for providing this recipe.