1. Roll out the shortcrust pastry on a floured board.
2. Fill a fairly deep pie dish and chill for 10 minutes.
3. Blind bake the pastry for 10 minutes on a heat of 190°C (weigh it down with baking beans or rolled up balls of foil)
4. Fry the onions in the olive oil and add the thyme and pepper.
5. Cook until soft and tinged brown, approximately 15 minutes, and fill the pastry case
6. Beat the eggs and milk, and half the Pilgrims Choice Vintage Cheddar.
7. Add to the onions and sprinkle the remaining grated Pilgrims Choice Vintage Cheddar on the top.
8. Finally bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
Our thanks to Pilgrims Choice for supplying this recipe. For a version using puff pastry and red onions, see the recipe for caramelised red onion and cheese tart.