Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine
Search Magazine

Can we move our kitchen stopcock?

John Conlin / 02 January 2017

Is your kitchen stopcock out of reach? Chartered surveyor John Conlin advises.

A man turns on a kitchen stopcock


We are having our kitchen refitted. The water stopcock is in a corner at floor level and has always been difficult to reach.

With the new layout it will be even worse. Is it possible to fit another main tap further up the pipe?

Gadgets to make kitchen chores easier


Yes; however, a simpler solution is to fit a ‘SureStop’ valve in place of the existing tap.

These valves are linked by flexible tube to a control that can be located up to about two metres away.

They work by water pressure alone, no battery is needed.

Try 12 issues of Saga Magazine

Subscribe today for just £29 for 12 issues...


The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.