Can we save our village pub?

John Conlin / 23 March 2017

Advice from chartered surveyor John Conlin could help.


The only remaining points of social contact in our village are the church and the pub.

The brewery has made a planning application to convert the latter into two houses. The Parish Council have objected but informal opinion from the planners suggests that it may be approved.

Is there anything more we can do?

Spruce up your house and add kerb appeal


The Localism Act 2011 included protection for premises or land of particular value to a village, neighbourhood or special interest group.

A pub may well qualify as an ‘Asset of Community Value’. Parish Councils and other groups can request the local council to register property. Although this will not prevent the grant of planning permission it will require the owner to invite bids from the community group before selling to anyone else. Check the web for details

What to do about a neighbour's tatty fence

For more tips from John Conlin visit the
Chartered Surveyor Q&A section

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.