Be one of 15 customers to win a new fire-prevention gadget!
Be one of 15 customers to win a new fire-prevention gadget!
Last year we teamed up with technology business Skyrad to give 200 Saga Insurance customers the opportunity to trial a brand-new piece of kitchen technology. Called Pippa, it acts as a fire-prevention device as well as a cooking assistant when paired up with an app. According to data from the UK Fire and Rescue Service, half of all the house fires they attend to are started by cooking. So if you haven’t tried Pippa for fire prevention yet, we’re now giving you the chance to win this innovative bit of kit.
Customer Anne Newton took part in last year’s trial and explains why it’s been a great addition to her household:
“My husband has a habit of turning gas low then taking the pan off and walking away. As a result, I’ve almost burned my hand and set fire to the kitchen cloth. Thanks to Pippa, those days are over. We either hear her warning us or, if we go out, we receive a warning message.
We love Pippa and can’t understand why nobody ‘invested’ in her sooner.”
Alan Fisher also took part in the trial and says it’s an excellent product:
“This unit keeps guard over our cooker. It has warned us on a number of occasions that we have either left a burner on low without a pan or put a pan on the stove and then become distracted before adding the food. Pippa warned us very quickly.
It’s a small unobtrusive clever piece of kit which watches over our cooker and prevents fires.”
You can read more reviews on Trustpilot
What exactly is Pippa?
It’s a neat bit of kit designed to prevent kitchen fires – and it’s been developed following years of research by the creator actually sparking kitchen fires!
You just stick it to the wall above your hob and it warns you about fire risks before, during and after cooking. It’s a bit like a smoke alarm, but rather than telling you there’s a fire, it alerts you that one could be about to start. It does this by using a thermal-imaging sensor and artificial intelligence to look out for cooking hazards like these:
- Your pan is about to burn.
- The oil is getting hot enough to catch fire.
- A pan you left simmering has boiled dry.
- You forgot to turn the hob off after you finished cooking.
- You left something on the hob that’s started to ignite.
Even before the first whiff of a hazard, Pippa will give you a spoken warning telling you what the danger is. If you don’t respond or are out of hearing range, Pippa will then sound an alarm. The device can also be set to phone or text you, a friend, family member or carer about the situation.
Improve fire safety in your – or a loved one’s – home
Chip pan fires cause one fifth of all accidental fires in UK homes attended by the fire and rescue service. But you don’t need to be using a deep fat fryer for oil to become highly flammable. Pippa’s heat sensor monitors cooking temperatures and warns you if they’re approaching dangerous levels, or if there are any other objects on your hob that could be about to burn or ignite, giving you time to avoid a disaster.
At Saga we’re used to dealing with home insurance claims following fires, but we’d obviously much rather you stayed safe and not find yourself in the position of having to make a claim for what could be preventable damage to your home.
Cook to perfection with Pippa
The safety aspect of Pippa is a natty invention in itself, but there’s a fun side to this new technology too. When paired with your smartphone, you can use the device as an interactive cooking assistant.
Using this feature, Pippa will help you become a master at making golden pancakes, cook medium-rare steaks every time or poach eggs to perfection. It does this by instructing you on the ideal pan temperature, guiding you through the cooking time and telling you when to turn your steak or flip your pancake.
It can also talk you through how to cook tricky meals with its built-in recipe guide.
How to enter the prize draw
If you’d like to enter the prize draw to win a Pippa for your home, visit the sign-up page.
You’ll be asked to enter some details and these will only be used for London-based business Skyrad to contact you if you win. They will also be in touch with you by phone or email after you’ve received your Pippa to see how you’re getting on.
Skyrad will select 15 Saga Insurance customers at random from those who sign up for the prize draw. If your name is chosen, you’ll receive your Pippa kit by 28 June 2022. If you don’t win, you’ll receive an email letting you know and will then be given the option to be contacted about any future Pippa releases.
Prize draw terms and conditions
1. This prize draw is for customers who enter their details on the sign-up page.
2. This prize draw is not available to customers who live in Northern Ireland.
3. The opening date for entries is Tuesday 12 April 2022. The closing date of the prize draw is 11.59pm, Tuesday 31 May 2022. Entries received after this time will not be counted.
4. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries not successfully completed due to a technical fault, technical malfunction, computer hardware or software failure, satellite, network or server failure of any kind.
5. The 15 winners will be chosen by a random draw, supervised by an independent person on Tuesday 14 June 2022 (“Draw Date”).
6. The 15 winners will be contacted by Skyrad using the details entered on the sign-up form, and sent their Pippa kit by Tuesday 28 June 2022.
7. The 15 winners will also be contacted after they have received their Pippa by phone or email to find out how they are getting on with the device.
8. The prize for the winners is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
9. The prize is supplied by Skyrad. The Promoter reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Promoter’s control make it necessary to do so.
10. The winners’ names and counties can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to: Saga Customer Benefits Team, Saga Services Limited, Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 working days of the Draw Date.
11. Entry to the prize draw is also deemed as permission for Skyrad to contact you if you do not win. You will be given the option to be contacted about any future Pippa releases.
12. Participants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
13. The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
14. Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
15. Winners may be required to participate in publicity related to the prize draw which may include the publication of their name and photograph in any media.
17. Personal data supplied during the course of this promotion may be passed on to third party suppliers only insofar as required for fulfilment/delivery/arrangement of the prize.
18. The prize draw will be governed by English law and entrants to the prize draw submit to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
19. The Promoter of this prize draw is Saga Services Limited of Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone, Kent, CT20 3SE.