1. Line a baking tray with parchment and pre-heat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, 400°F, gas 6
2. Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg yolk, grated lemon rind and juice and beat well.
4. Sieve the flour and mixed spice into the bowl and stir to combine.
5. Stir in the currants.
6. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to the thickness of 2x pound coins.
7. Press a pastry cutter or cup through the dough to make 75mm/3”circles then gently lift them onto the prepared baking tray.
8. Gather together the off cuts and re-roll to make further biscuits.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
10. Remove the baking tray from the oven and brush the biscuits with egg white.
11. Sprinkle caster sugar over the biscuits then return them to the oven for a further 2 minutes.
Doves Farm products are available online at dovesfarm.co.uk, Ocado, all major retailers, traditional wholesalers, food service, independent health food stores and farm shops.
Visit our Easter baking page for more delicious buns, cakes and biscuits