1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°/Gas 3) and line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest.
3. Beat in the eggs and then fold in the almonds, poppy seeds and baking powder.
4. Spoon into the prepared cases, smooth the tops with a palette knife and then bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch.
5. Mix the icing ingredients together in a bowl and spoon over the cakes once they are completely cold.
To make crystallised lemon zest, use a zester to remove thin strips of rind from the lemon, toss in caster sugar and leave to firm up a little before sprinkling over the top of the cakes.
This recipe has been donated by Miranda Gore Browne to Dream Tea. Host your own Dream Tea to help fulfill the dreams of children living with serious conditions. Find out how to host your own Dream Tea event.
Visit our baking section for more delicious cakes, biscuits and more.