Asda’s fishmonger, Darren Wrend, has created a series of simple recipes to show you how to cook a delicious whole salmon. Perfect for dinner parties or for the family to share, these quick and easy recipes are sure to go down well.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 230°C/ Gas mark 8
2. Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper on a oven dish/tray, and on top of this lay flat one sheet of rolled out pastry
3. Place one salmon fillet on top of the pastry, skin down (if the fillet is too long for the pastry tuck the tail under to fit)
4. Along the middle of the fillet place sprigs of flat leaf parsley, then finely grate the lemon over the parsley, along with some cracked black pepper
5. Crumble on the lemon and pepper butter ovals for additional flavour
6. Place the second salmon fillet skin side down on a chopping board and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper
7. Once seasoned place the second fillet on top of the other fillet skinless side down
8. Brush the visible edge of the pastry with milk, then lay the second sheet of pastry on top of the salmon
9. Using the side of your hand go around the edge of the fillet and seal the pastry together, cutting off any excess pastry
10. Using the excess pastry decorate the top of the en croute and brush the top layer of pastry with milk
11. Place the salmon en croute on the middle shelf of the pre-heated oven and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry has gone a light golden-brown colour
Fishmonger Darren Wrend prepares whole salmon en croute with puff pastry.
Visit our salmon recipe section for more cooking ideas, including whole poached salmon and whole salmon stuffed with cod.