1. Place the joint on a chopping board and season.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint all over. Transfer to a large casserole dish suitable for the hob and oven.
3. In the same frying pan, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, except the beans and Brussels sprouts. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in a preheated oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F for 2½-3 hours.
5. 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the beans and Brussels sprouts.
6. Serve with creamy mash or warm crusty bread.
Slow cooker method
1. Place the joint on a chopping board and season. Place the joint in the base of a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients.
2. Turn a large slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to your manufacturers’ handbook.
3. Serve the brisket with mash or warm crusty bread.
Red Tractor beef and lamb has launched ‘Festive Fairies’, to give mums and dads a helping hand at Christmas. For more festive recipe ideas for all the family click here.