Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine
Search Magazine

My neighbours want to buy part of our garden

John Conlin / 13 June 2018

A reader is unsure how to go about selling part of his garden to his neighbours, and how he can make sure they don't build on it.

Measuring tape in garden
A reader is not sure how to go about selling part of his garden


My neighbours want to buy part of my garden, can you please advise what service would be best to get the land valued and also what legal safeguards are there to stop them from building on the land?


The basic price your neighbours pay should be at least the greater of the reduction in value of your own property or the increase in value of your neighbor’s property. You can impose a restrictive covenant prohibiting building or you can include an ‘overage’ clause requiring anyone owing the land to pay you a percentage of the increase in value if planning permission were to be obtained to build on the land within a fixed period, say 25 years.

You should engage a Chartered Surveyor to advise on value and negotiate on your behalf but before doing so get an undertaking from your neighbours to reimburse you for the surveyor’s fee whether the sale goes ahead or not.

Try 12 issues of Saga Magazine

Subscribe today for just £29 for 12 issues...


The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.