Workout with Dame Kelly Holmes
Dame Kelly Holmes
09 Jul 2020
The story of a sporting superstar
Who can forget Kelly’s look of amazement as she won her second gold in the Athens Olympics? It’s one of sport’s iconic moments, and she followed it up by being named BBC Sports Personality of the Year and World Athlete of the Year. Kelly still holds several British records for middle distance running.
Prior to this, Kelly was awarded an MBE for her services to the British Army, where she worked as a fitness instructor. More recently, she has been made an Honorary Colonel and a Dame, partly in recognition of the inspiring mental health and charity work carried out by the Dame Kelly Holmes Trust.
Share this article
Grab your trainers! It’s time to get fit with one of Britain’s most successful athletes. The double Olympic gold medallist has teamed up with Saga to provide this limited series for our #notgoingoutclub.
During five weeks of complimentary fitness sessions, Dame Kelly focuses on different parts of the body to help improve fitness, build strength and inspire confidence. The equipment needed can easily be found at home, making it simple to exercise in your favourite room or garden.
Dame Kelly, who turned 50 herself during the lockdown, says: “Keeping fit and active is absolutely vital to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and as we get a bit older it becomes even more important. The workouts have been designed with all abilities in mind, whether you are a regular gym-goer or someone looking for a bit of fun to keep active.”
As with any exercise, always ensure you have the space you need and are properly warmed up. Follow Dame Kelly’s instructions, keeping within your own limits. Gradually improve your fitness over time rather than overdoing it at the start!
Exercise/Dance to music
- Full body workout to retro music - suitable for any fitness level
- Equipment needed: Lots of enthusiasm!
Full body workout
- Arms, core and legs - suitable for any fitness level
- Equipment needed: Mat, chair, weighted objects (from tins to dumbbells depending on level)
Upper body workout
- Suitable for any fitness level
- Equipment needed: Chair, weighted objects
Abs and core workout
- Floor workout for any fitness level
- Equipment needed: Mat, cushion
- Set at a beginner’s level throughout
- Equipment needed: Trainers, step or appropriate block
- Intermediate level showing regression for beginners
- Equipment needed: Trainers
Like this article? Share it!