1. Season the brisket and place in a large casserole dish. In a small bowl mix together the spices, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, figs and mulled wine. Pour over the brisket and mix to coat the joint. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for approximately 8 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Remove the joint from the marinade (do not discard), pat dry and brown on all sides. Return to the casserole dish with the marinade mixture and add the vegetables.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer on the hob or in the oven for 30-40 minutes per 450g/ 1lb of beef, plus 30-40 minutes.
5. Serve with the vegetables and creamy mashed potatoes.
Our thanks to Red Tractor for providing this recipe.
Red Tractor beef and lamb has launched ‘Festive Fairies’, to give mums and dads a helping hand at Christmas. For more festive recipe ideas for all the family click here.
See our collection of beef recipes for more kitchen inspiration.