Save up to £130 on Delights of Oporto and the Douro Valley tour
Exclusive offer for Possibilities members:
From £649 per person for 7 nights (
Possibilities members save £100 per person
Departs: 3 May 2019
Note: For further departure dates and offers in May and June please call Saga Holidays on 0800 302 9753.
£899 per person for 7 nights (
Possibilities members save £130 per person
Departs: 11 October 2019
Note: This is a Solo Travellers Departure. For further departure dates and offers in September and October please call Saga Holidays on 0800 302 9753.
Delights of Oporto and the Douro Valley, Portugal
Highlights of the holiday include:
- exploring a port wine cellar and tasting the produce
- discovering the medieval mountain towns along the Douro Valley
- marvelling at vineyard-glad valleys
- enjoy a day cruising along the Douro river
From medieval mountain towns to vineyard-clad valleys, journey into the heart of Portugal’s historic wine-growing region to witness scenes of everyday pastoral life that have hardly changed over the centuries.
Day 1: UK-Oporto-Termas de Sao Vicente. Fly to Oporto and stay for two nights in Sao Vicente.
Day 2: Oporto. A full-day excursion reveals the city’s stately architecture. Guided tour of a port wine cellar with a tasting this afternoon.
Day 3: Termas de Sao Vicente-Amarante-Regua-Carvalhal. Travel to Amarante, founded in 360BC. Continue to Régua for a heritage railway journey (on June to October departures) following the Douro valley. An alternative train journey is included on other departures. Continue to Carvalhal for a two-night stay. Folklore show tonight.
Day 4: Highlands experience. Optional morning excursion to Viseu. Included guided visit to Castro Daire with pastries and locally-grown tea later. An optional dinner in a local restaurant is available.
Day 5: Carvalhal-Lamego-Tabuaco. An included morning excursion visits Lamego and the sanctuary of Nossa Senhora dos Rémedios and Lamego’s museum. Continue to Tabuaco where you will stay for three nights. Folklore show tonight.
Day 6: Douro river cruise. Board your Douro riverboat and take a short cruise. Afterwards, there’s free time to explore Régua and buy lunch. Call at the Murganheira wine cellars for a tasting en route to your hotel.
Day 7: Tabuaco. Optional excursion to Vila Real and the Mateus Palace. Farewell dinner is served at your hotel.
Day 8: Oporto-UK. Travel to Oporto airport for your return flight.
Holiday features include:
- 7 nights in hotels
- 13 meals: 7 breakfasts and 6 dinners
- free bar open two hours a day at all hotels
- drinks with dinner at all hotels
- 6 Excursions and visits including Oporto city tour and a visit to a port wine cellar in Vila Nova de Gaia
- optional travel insurance underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch and additional cancellation rights on overseas holidays for over 50s, or a price reduction if not required (cover is subject to medical questions)
- return flights and transfers
- Saga tour manager
- welcome drink reception
- porterage at all hotels.
To book call Saga on 0800 302 9753