Are you entitled to the marriage allowance?

Paul Lewis / 22 March 2016

If you or your partner has an income below £11,000 and pays no tax, you could be in line for a tax rebate - but you need to claim it now!

Millions of people – many of them over 50 – could get more than £400 back from the taxman by making a simple claim.

Who are they? 

They are married couples (or, of course, civil partners). One of them has an income below £11,000 in 2016/17 (£10,600 in 2015/16) and pays no tax. The other pays basic-rate income tax, so has an income below £43,000 in 2016/17 (£42,385 in 2015/16).

The spouse with the lower income can transfer part of their personal tax allowance to their partner, cutting their tax bill by £220 in 2016/17 and £212 in 2015/16. A total saving of £432.

Six taxes you can legally avoid. 

Claim now

More than four million couples were expected to be eligible, but new figures reveal that only 330,000 had claimed it by the end of January.

The quickest way to claim is online at It takes just a few minutes. 

The taxpayer’s tax code will be amended and the allowance can be backdated to April 2015. Or call 0300 200 3300 or write to Pay As You Earn, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS. You need names, dates of birth and NI numbers for both spouses.

Older couples where at least one was born before April 6, 1935 should claim the more valuable Married Couple’s Allowance worth £835.50 a year off one spouse’s tax.

Paul Lewis writes for Saga Magazine. Subscribe now for more money tips and guidance. 

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.