Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
Spain, Andalusia, Cabo de Gata, back view of couple looking at the sea
Travel insurance


If you need medical help whilst on holiday we're here to help

Medical claims with Saga Travel Insurance

Our team offers you a personal touch coupled with medical expertise, to help take some of the worry out of what can be an incredibly stressful situation – we’ll even keep your key contacts updated on your progress for you and, if need be, we’ll fly a doctor or nurse out, with specialist repatriation equipment, to accompany you home either on a commercial flight or by air ambulance.

Our first steps will always be to:

  • Establish that you’re in a place of safety
  • Determine the capability of the treating hospital
  • Consider your immediate transfer home
  • Make sure that the necessary medical fees are guaranteed.

We actively monitor the capabilities of medical facilities throughout the world and use this knowledge to determine whether you need to be transferred to a different facility. Once we are satisfied that you are getting the appropriate treatment, we will agree a treatment plan with your treating doctor and you.

If you cannot be discharged in time to continue your trip as planned, we will make arrangements to bring you home at the appropriate time.

Call us first

If you need medical assistance while abroad, please call us first:

(+44) 1444 442105

If it’s a medical emergency, call for an ambulance. If you’re admitted to hospital, you or a companion must call us as soon as possible.

In order for your claim to be paid, the cost of any necessary in-patient treatment or transport back home must be agreed to by our Medical Assistance provider before the costs are incurred.

What will happen when I make a claim?

When you call us to make a claim on your travel insurance, you’ll need to give our team information over the phone. You’ll then be given a claim reference number, which you’ll need to quote whenever you get in touch with us, and you’ll also be sent some paperwork to fill in and return with any documents we might need in order to settle your claim.

What documents do I need to make a medical assistance claim on my travel insurance?

You’ll need to be able to evidence all parts of your claim. The documents you need to send us will depend on what you are claiming for but may include:

  • Medical certificate(s)
  • Death certificate
  • Evidence of being admitted to hospital as an in-patient and your subsequent discharge
  • Receipts to show any payment made to cover medical costs, for example to an emergency dentist or pharmacist
  • Your Travel Insurance Certificate
  • Receipt to show additional cattery or kennel costs.

Please do not send us any documents before we’ve asked for them.

When you send us documents, it is at your own expense and these costs are not able to be claimed back under your policy. We would suggest sending original documents recorded delivery.

Will I be able to claim all my medical costs back through my travel insurance?

If the cost of your medical claim has been reduced because you used a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), you won’t have to pay any excess under the ‘Medical and associated expenses’ section of your policy.

The excess may be deducted from the claim settlement.

Medical assistance helpline

If you need medical assistance abroad, please call our medical assistance helpline.

(+44) 1444 442105

Open 24 hours a day
7 days a week
365 days a year