Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine
Back Back to benefits Go to benefits
Search Magazine

What must you do to rent your drive?

John Conlin / 24 October 2016

A reader asks chartered surveyor John Conlin about planning permission when renting their drive…

A large driveway, ready to be rented out for parking


We no longer have a car as our house is close to town centre and station. People have offered to pay to park on our drive. Would we need planning permission and would our Council Tax increase?

Twelve ways to make some extra money


You do not need planning permission as there would be no material change of use. Council Tax is levied on the value of the house. 

Allowing other people to use your driveway will have no effect on that so the council tax will not change. 

If you go ahead it would be prudent to get car owners to sign a simple note confirming that you take no responsibility for damage or injury. 

Can you make money by renting your driveway or garage?

Try 12 issues of Saga Magazine

Subscribe today for just £20 for 12 issues...

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.