Find the best car insurance for you
Car insurance. We all need it to drive a car legally and safely. Understand your options and find the cover that’s best for you in our complete guide to car insurance in the UK. That’s another task you can tick off your to do list.
What does car insurance cover?
Car insurance policies vary according to how much cover you need. Generally, the more cover a policy offers, the more expensive it is.
Saga offers three different levels of car insurance for the over 50s, each with the same great Saga service so you can choose the most suitable policy for your needs and budget.
Compare car insurance from Saga
|Cover and benefits||Saga Standard||Saga Select||Saga Plus|
|Uninsured driver promise – You won't lose your NCD and there's no excess to pay if you're hit by an uninsured driver and you supply us with their vehicle details.||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Cover for trips abroad – EU cover for up to 90 days in any policy year with the same level of cover as you have in the UK||Yes||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Protected No Claim Discount (NCD) – if you have four or more years' NCD, we'll protect it against two fault claims in a three-year period.||Optional||Yes||Yes|
|Vandalism promise – you won't lose your NCD if you make a valid claim for damage caused by vandals.||–||Yes||Yes|
|Misfuelling – Any loss or damage caused directly or indirectly as a result of accidentally filling your vehicle with the incorrect type of fuel.||–||Yes||Yes|
|Key protection – we'll cover up to £2,500 per claim, and with us, you will even get up to £50 for wear and tear. You won't have to pay an excess and your NCD won't be affected||Optional||Optional||Yes|
|Claims promise – While you are with us, your NCD won't be affected by claims caused by theft, fire, storm, flood or animal damage, or if your vehicle is hit when parked.||–||–||Yes|
|3-year fixed price – You'll get a price for one year's cover but, because we fix this for your next two renewals, as long as nothing changes, you'll pay the same price next year and the year after. (T&Cs apply)||–||–||Yes|
Saga Car Insurance cover at a glance
Saga Standard is a straight-forward Comprehensive cover that includes these features:
- Uninsured driver promise - if your car’s hit by an uninsured driver, as long as it isn’t your fault (and you have their car reg and the accident details), we’ll refund any excess you’ve paid. And it won’t affect your No Claim Discount.
- Cover for trips abroad - EU cover for up to 90 days in any policy year with the same level of cover as you have in the UK
Our Saga Select cover is a Comprehensive cover with some great features, such as:
- Protected No Claim Discount (NCD) as standard - if you have four or more years' NCD, we'll protect it against two fault claims in a three-year period.
- Vandalism promise - you won't lose your NCD if you make a valid claim for damage caused by vandals.
- Misfuelling cover - Any loss or damage caused directly or indirectly as a result of accidentally filling your vehicle with the incorrect type of fuel.
Saga Plus includes plenty of additional features. So all that's left for you to do is hit the road and enjoy the journey.
- Comes with 3-year fixed price cover - your car insurance premium won't change unless you do, as we fix the price for your next two renewals (Terms and conditions apply). And the only thing that's fixed is your price, you're free to cancel at any time with no fees to pay.
- Claims promise - your NCD while you stay with Saga will not be affected by claims caused by theft, fire, storm, flood, animal damage or if your vehicle is hit while parked.
- Onward taxi travel - if you have an accident in the UK and your car's too damaged to drive, we'll arrange a taxi to take you anywhere in the country — with as many stops as you need.
- Legal protection - up to £100,000 to help you recover uninsured losses (for example compensation for an accident in the UK that wasn't your fault), as long as an independent legal representative thinks you can win the case.
- Key protection - we'll cover up to £2,500 per claim, including up to £50 for wear and tear. There's no excess to pay and claiming won't affect your NCD.
- Medical treatment after an accident - if you (or your spouse or partner) is injured in a road accident in the UK, we'll organise eligible private medical treatment for you up to £1 million.
Who are Saga's car insurance policies underwritten by?
Our policies are underwritten by several different insurers. We handpick these companies very carefully, and make sure they have the same high standards of quality and service as we do. If you buy a policy from us you’ll see the name of the underwriter in your policy documents.
Which? Recommended Provider of car insurance
In February, Saga was named a Which? Recommended Provider of car insurance for 2022.
Consumer champion Which? only endorses the best products and services. As a completely independent organisation, the granting of Which? Recommended Provider status truly reflects what they think – not what someone else wants them to say.
What is car insurance?
Car insurance will cover the costs if your car is in an accident, is damaged or stolen, is vandalised or catches fire. You must have motor insurance to legally drive your car on UK roads. If you drive without insurance, you could be liable to fines, be disqualified from driving, or have your car seized.
What types of car insurance are there?
There are three different types of car insurance cover:
- Third party insurance – covers damage to a third party, whether that’s another vehicle, a building or person - but not the cost of repairing or replacing your car.
- Third party, fire and theft – third party, plus cover for your vehicle following fire or theft.
- Comprehensive – covers damage to your car and its occupants, someone else’s car and its occupants, belongings inside your car, vandalism, and may give you a courtesy car if yours can’t be used due to an accident.
Third party insurance is the legal minimum you need to drive your car in the UK, but many people find that comprehensive cover will give them the most peace of mind.
What doesn't car insurance cover?
The ins and outs of what is and isn’t covered will depend on the car insurance policy you choose, so you should always read your policy documentation carefully. However, there are a few things that are generally excluded. These include:
- Your car being stolen when you’ve left it unlocked
- Loss or damage due to war, terrorism, earthquake or radioactivity
- Damage you or anyone named on your certificate of insurance has done deliberately
- Your excess - the first amount of any claim that you have to pay
Do you need car insurance?
You cannot drive a car without insurance, so if you own a car in the UK, at minimum you need to have third party insurance. You must also insure your car if you don’t drive it, but keep it parked on the street, in a driveway or in a garage.
There are very few instances where you don’t need car insurance, which include:
- You hold a valid Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN)
- Your car has been kept off-road since before 1 February 1998
- Your car has been scrapped, stolen or exported and you have given notice of this
- Your car is between dealers, or is being held in stock by an authorised dealer
The police are able to check on the spot if your motor is insured, and if it isn’t it can be seized and then disposed of unless you get valid insurance and pay charges for its return.
How does car insurance work?
When you take out car insurance, an underwriter will work out how much of a risk there is of you making a claim. They take into consideration a wide range of risk factors, such as:
- What car you drive
- How many miles you drive each year
- Where you live
- Your occupation
- Your age
- Your claims history
- Whether your car has an alarm or immobiliser
- Where you store your car at night
How much of a risk these are is down to historical statistics. A combination of these factors determine whether they will be prepared to cover you and at what cost. The more of a risk you’re thought to be, the more expensive your car insurance price will be.
Saga's car insurance
Saga offers comprehensive car insurance for the over 50s.
Why choose our car insurance?
- Defaqto 5 Star rated – this means that Saga offers one of the most comprehensive car insurance policies on the market.
- Uninsured driver promise – if an uninsured driver hits your car, through no fault of yours, as long as you supply their vehicle registration and the accident details, we'll refund any excess paid and your No Claim Discount won't be reduced.
- 3-year fixed price – you can expect to pay the same price for three years if nothing changes — even after most claims, (only available with Saga Plus, our highest cover level T&Cs apply).
- Protected No Claim Discount – if you have four or more years’ NCD, we’ll protect it against two fault claims in a three-year period (automatically included for eligible customers who choose the Saga Plus or Saga Select cover levels).
- No admin fees – if you need to make a change to your policy mid-term we won't charge you a fee. And if you're a Saga Plus policyholder we don't charge cancellation fees either so you're not tied in.
- New for old child car seat cover – we replace child car seats with a brand new one after an accident, even if there's no apparent damage to it.
More from Saga Insurance
Electric vehicles have the potential to transform the places where we live and work. But which UK cities are best prepared for the EV revolution? We surveyed UK drivers to find out why they are (and aren’t) looking to push the accelerator on buying an electric car.
How much are electric cars?
How much does an electric car really cost? Is it a cost-effective option to buy and run? Read on to find out more.
Advanced driving course
It’s never too late to improve your driving skills and enjoyment with advanced driving courses
How long do electric car batteries last?
Are electric cars as reliable as petrol and diesel? Battery life needn’t be a barrier to switching
Can you tow with an electric car?
Explore the options before you buy if you’re planning to use your electric car for towing a caravan or trailer
Do electric cars have gears?
What makes electric cars different to drive? Get the lowdown on gearboxes, braking and pedals.
Are electric cars better for the environment?
Are electric cars really good for the environment? And what would be better?
How far can an electric car go?
How do you know if your electric car charge is enough for your journey? We help you work it out
How to charge an electric car?
There’s lots of options to keep your electric car fully charged and ready to go so you can enjoy driving without worries
How much does it cost to charge an electric car?
How much does it cost to charge an electric car, and how easy is it to stay topped up as you drive?
Petrol vs diesel
When you’re choosing a new car fuel type is important, but is it better to buy petrol or diesel?
How long does it take to charge an electric car?
Stay topped up and ready for driving action with our quick guide to charging time and options