What to do if you breakdown
What to do in the event of a breakdown
If you are a Saga Breakdown Assistance customer, in the event of a breakdown please call our 24 hour claims line on 0800 068 2196 (+44 1303 776 490 from abroad).
We aim to ensure that every claim is dealt with quickly and with minimum fuss. All our insurance advisers are UK-based and we do not use any press-button telephone menus so you can rest assured that help is at hand.
Safety when you break down
The most important priority is your safety, your passengers’ safety and the safety of other road users. If you do break down, please follow these safety precautions:
- If possible, try to park your car in a safe place
- Switch on your hazard warning lights to notify other road users that you have broken down
- Place your warning triangle 45 metres behind your broken down vehicle
- If it is dark, or there is poor visibility keep your sidelights on.
If you break down on the motorway:
- Pull in to the hard shoulder as far to the left as possible
- Switch on your hazard warning lights, and leave side lights on if there are low light conditions
- Do not display your warning triangle, as this is a hazard to other road users
- If you can, make sure you and your passengers are out of the vehicle and wait behind the crash barrier away from the traffic.