Skip to main content
Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine

Third Party car insurance

For when you decide basic Third Party cover is enough for your needs

To get a quote call 0800 092 3195

Monday to Friday 8.30am - 8pm
Saturday 8.30am - 5pm
Sunday 9am - 5pm

Get minimum legal cover with Third Party insurance

Third Party car insurance provides you with the basic legal minimum cover you need to drive in the UK, but will this be enough for your particular needs? Find out more about what Third Party only insurance provides, and what it doesn’t.

What is Third Party car insurance?

Third Party cover protects you against the costs of any damage or injury you cause to another person, their vehicle or their property. So if you’re in a road accident you shouldn’t have to pay to repair a Third Party’s car or property, but you will still need to cover the costs of any damage to your own car. You’ll also be covered for injuries to any other people involved, but not for injuries to yourself.

What’s covered by Third Party insurance?

If you’re involved in a car accident that is proved to be your fault, Third Party car insurance covers you for:

  • damages to any other vehicle involved in the accident
  • claims for injuries to that vehicle’s occupants caused by the crash
  • injuries to passengers in your car
  • damage to other people’s property, for example if you crash into their garden wall

Saga’s Third Party insurance includes:

  • Protected No Claim Discount (NCD) – if you have four or more years’ NCD, we’ll protect it against two fault claims in a three-year period.
  • Emergency any driver cover – if there’s a medical emergency during your journey, any driver can take over the driving or take your vehicle back home.
  • Cover for trips abroad – you can drive in the EU for an unlimited period with the same level of cover as you have in the UK.

You can also add the option of legal protection to Saga’s Third Party insurance:

  • Legal Protection – we’ll cover up to £100,000 of legal costs for accidents in the UK that are not your fault, if the legal team believes there is more than 51% chance of success.

Find out more and get a Third Party car insurance quote by calling 0800 092 3195.

What isn’t covered by Third Party insurance?

The main difference between comprehensive and Third Party insurance is that Third Party cover is only designed to protect you against having to pay for damage to a third party or other person. A Third Party car insurance claim will not pay for:

  • Repairs to your car or any medical treatment if you are injured in an accident.
  • Damage to your vehicle caused by fire or theft – that is only included with Third Party, Fire and Theft, and Comprehensive insurance policies.
  • Extras that are typically included in Comprehensive insurance, such as personal belongings cover, onward taxi travel, or key protection.

What are the benefits of Third Party insurance?

Although Third Party insurance offers the minimum amount of cover you need to have for your car, there may be certain situations where this is the best option for you.

  • You have a low value vehicle – it may not be worth insuring your own car against damage if the cost of repairs would be higher than the car’s value.
  • You can pay for repairs – if you’re happy to pay for repairs to your own car and can afford to do so, you may choose not to pay for this insurance cover.
  • You will make claims – if you have made or are likely to make multiple claims, it may be cheaper to pay for damage than to pay for insurance, as making a claim may affect any No Claim Discount you have. However, if you’re involved in an accident, you do still need to tell your insurer, even if you choose not to make a claim.

Is Third Party insurance cheaper?

If you’re looking at Third Party car insurance as a more cost-effective option, this may not always be the case. The price you pay is based on the likelihood of you making a claim, and so because historically there is a higher level of claims on Third Party insurance, policies can work out more expensive.

Comprehensive insurance is also more likely to include extras in the cost of your cover, such as protection against windscreen, personal belongings or vandalism loss or damage. These extras are not included with Third Party cover, but could be expensive to put right without insurance.

It’s always worth comparing different types of cover to see which one fully meets your needs for the price you pay.

Do you need Third Party car insurance?

You must have a legal minimum of Third Party insurance to drive your vehicle on UK roads. Find out more on the government website at

The only exemption to needing Third Party insurance is if your vehicle is kept off the road and declared as off the road with a statutory off road notice (SORN).

Even if you aren’t currently driving your car, without a valid SORN or up-to-date insurance you could face a fixed penalty, a fine up to £1,000 and have your vehicle impounded or destroyed.

You may choose to have more than the legal minimum of car insurance in the form of Third Party fire and theft or fully Comprehensive insurance.

Get a quote for Third Party insurance – call 0800 092 3195 or compare other Saga policies.