Skip to main content
Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine

Third Party Fire and Theft

The benefits of Third Party, plus added protection for your vehicle

To get a quote call 0800 092 3195

Monday to Friday 8.30am - 8pm
Saturday 8.30am - 5pm
Sunday 9am - 5pm

Protecting your vehicle with Third Party Fire and Theft insurance

When you’re looking for basic cover but Third Party insurance doesn’t give you the peace of mind you need, Third Party Fire and Theft protection for your car may be a suitable alternative to consider alongside comprehensive policies.

What is Third Party, Fire and Theft insurance?

Third Party Fire and Theft car insurance offers the next level of cover up from Third Party car insurance. It protects against the costs of any damage or injury you cause to another person, their vehicle or their property – with added cover if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.

If you’re involved in a road accident, Third Party, Fire and Theft insurance will pay to repair a third party’s car or property, but it won’t cover the costs of damage to your own car. It will also cover injuries to any passengers involved in the accident, but not injuries to yourself.

What does Third Party Fire and Theft insurance cover?

Third Party Fire and Theft insures you against:

  • damage you cause to other vehicles in a road accident
  • claims for injuries to passengers involved
  • damage to other peoples’ property, for example if you crash through their garden fence
  • damage to your car that is caused by fire
  • theft or attempted theft of your vehicle, as long as you left it fully secured

Third Party Fire and Theft insurance will pay to repair the damage to your vehicle, replace what is lost or damaged beyond reasonable repair, or will pay cash for the amount of loss or damage caused by fire or theft. The most we will pay is the market value of your car, accessories or spare parts at the time of damage.

Saga’s Third Party Fire and Theft insurance includes:

  • Protected No Claim Discount (NCD) – if you have four or more years’ NCD, we’ll protect it against two fault claims in a three-year period.
  • Emergency any driver cover – if there’s a medical emergency during your journey, any driver can take over the driving or take your vehicle back home.
  • Cover for trips abroad – you can drive in the EU for an unlimited period with the same level of cover as you have in the UK.
  • Unlimited audio/visual cover – permanently fitted equipment is covered against fire and theft.

You can also add the option of legal protection to Saga’s Third Party Fire and Theft car insurance:

  • Legal Protection – we’ll cover up to £100,000 of legal costs for accidents in the UK that are not your fault, if as an independent legal representative believes there is more than 51% chance of success.

Find out more and get a Third Party Fire and Theft quote by calling 0800 092 3195.

What’s the difference between Comprehensive insurance and Third Party Fire and Theft?

Unlike Third Party Fire and Theft, Comprehensive policies also insure you against damage to your own car and any injuries you sustain in the event of an accident. They also provide additional benefits such as a guaranteed replacement car while yours is being repaired by an approved repairer, personal belongings and personal accident cover, among others.

With a Saga Plus Comprehensive policy, you can also benefit from 3-year fixed price cover. We fix the price for your next two renewals so your car insurance premium won’t change unless you do (terms and conditions apply). And the price is the only thing that’s fixed – you can cancel at any time with no cancellation fees to pay.

Find out more about our full range of car insurance plans.

What doesn’t third party, fire and theft car insurance cover?

Third Party Fire and Theft doesn’t pay for:

  • repairs to your car if it’s damaged in an accident
  • any medical treatment if you’re injured
  • replacing your car if it’s stolen when left unsecured
  • windscreen and windows replacement
  • repairs to any damage caused by vandalism
  • extras that might be included in Comprehensive insurance, such as personal belongings cover, onward taxi travel, or key protection

If you’re looking for protection against damages to yourself and to your car as well, you should look at Saga’s Comprehensive car insurance cover.

Find out more about Comprehensive car insurance