At Saga, we're always looking at ways to improve our insurance cover and we love coming up with extras that make life that bit simpler and safer for you.
The invention of keyless car technology brought with it some great benefits: Whether you’ve got your hands full of shopping, a sleeping child to carry, or you can’t quite remember which bag you put the car keys in, being able to get into your car without a key can be a lifesaver. Some keyless cars will automatically lock themselves too once the fob is out of reach eliminating the chance of ever accidentally leaving your car unlocked and unattended.
Like with any new advances, there are some downsides to keyless car technology. While keyless fobs are undoubtedly safer from traditional forms of theft, such as lockpicking, criminals have found a way to target keyless vehicles using something known as relay theft.
What is relay theft?
It’s when thieves boost the signal from a car fob inside someone’s home to access and steal their vehicle outside. They target cars parked close to a property and work in pairs using devices placed up against the car and the front wall of the house to capture and relay the signal between car and key. By using this technology, they can unlock cars and start the engines.
How to prevent this happening to you
There are a number of ways to help keep your car safe from relay theft:
- Park it in a well-lit and secure area.
- Keep your car fobs far away from external doors and windows.
- Consider using a steering wheel lock as a deterrent or have your car fitted with a tracking device to increase the chance of it being recovered if stolen.
- A Faraday pouch – is one easy, effective way to prevent this sort of crime from happening. You simply keep your key fob in the pouch at home and the metallic lining will stop the signal being intercepted.
We want to help in making sure you’re taking adequate precautions against relay theft. That’s why we are giving away 100 Faraday pouches to Saga insurance customers for free! So, if you’ve got a keyless fob for your car, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, address and car make. The pouches will be given to the first 100 customers whose email we receive, and we will respond to your email to let you know if you’re one of the lucky 100. Please read the full T&Cs below before emailing us.
Faraday Pouch giveaway terms and conditions
- The giveaway is open to all Saga insurance customers aged 50 years or over.
- Only one entry per person is permitted. You must provide your full name, address and car make when you email email@example.com and we will reply to your email to confirm it has been received and if you have been successful or not.
- There are 100 Faraday pouches available to giveaway and those who are successful will receive their Faraday pouch by 30 November 2021.
- Saga Insurance accepts no responsibility for entries not successfully completed due to a technical fault, technical malfunction, computer hardware or software failure, satellite, network or server failure of any kind.
- Saga Insurance reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
Get 20% cashback on a new Saga Car Insurance policy
Get cover for your keyless vehicle and take advantage of our current offer to get 20% cashback on a new policy. T&Cs apply. Saga’s car insurance policies are unique products designed by us specifically for our customers. They are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that provide high standards of quality and service.
Find out more about our cashback offer.