Additional cover options
In addition to the benefits which come as standard with our car insurance, we also offer a range of additional cover options.
To help keep you on the road, Saga Breakdown Assistance can be added to your policy at a discounted rate. It offers reliable UK-wide breakdown cover 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and, with a range of cover levels, you can choose the cover that’s right for you:
- Essential – Roadside repair, or recovery to the nearest garage plus reimbursement of taxi costs to take you and your passengers up to 20 miles*
- Home Call – Repair at home or roadside, or recovery to the nearest garage plus reimbursement of taxi costs to take you and your passengers up to 20 miles
- National Recovery – Roadside repair, or recovery to your home or a garage anywhere in the UK*
- Comprehensive – Repair at home or roadside, or recovery of your car, you and your passengers to your home or a garage anywhere in the UK, hire car or overnight accommodation
- Premier – All the above, plus cover for roadside repair and recovery in 55 countries and territories in Europe, and transport to your holiday departure point if you break down en route and we are unable to fix your car. Plus, if your car breaks down within 24 hours of your planned departure date in the UK, we'll arrange a hire car for up to 14 days so you can proceed with your trip.
Please note - Our European breakdown service is operating with restrictions due to the steps other countries have taken. We’ll do our very best to help if you’re abroad and break down, but it may become very difficult or impossible to provide roadside service in some countries.
Anyone thinking of driving to Europe should check The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office website which is currently advising against all non-essential travel worldwide.
Saga's range of insurance products is designed specifically for our customers and is unique to us. Saga Essential, Home Call and National Recovery Breakdown Assistance is provided by RAC Motoring Services. Saga Comprehensive, Premier, Motorhome Assistance and Motorhome Assistance Plus Breakdown Assistance is provided by RAC Motoring Services and RAC Insurance Limited.
*When breakdown occurs at least 1/4 mile from home address.
Legal Protection comes as standard with our Saga Plus cover level, but can also be added to a Saga Select policy at any time, view more information on our car insurance cover levels.
If you are involved in an accident that's not your fault and was caused by a known insured third party, we will provide up to £100,000 towards costs for trained claims handlers to recover uninsured losses following an accident in the UK. We will cover claims as long as the legal team believe you can win your case.
Our trained claims handlers seek recovery for any uninsured losses from a third party such as:
- Travelling expenses
- Loss of earnings
- Compensation for personal injury
- Any excess you may be required to pay as part of a claim.
With Legal Protection you can also benefit from:
- Unlimited access to motoring legal advice for you and your family via our 24-hour confidential helpline
- Cover if you need to take legal action, or defend an appeal, against a motor trader in a dispute involving the purchase, servicing, or repair of your vehicle
- The option of a two-hour driver confidence course to help you get back in the driving seat if you have lost your confidence or if you have suffered an injury as a result of an accident in your car
- Up to £10,000 of legal costs in respect of any legal claim to pursue the recovery of illegal clamping or towing fees relating to your vehicle.
Saga Legal Protection is arranged and administered by Arc Legal Assistance Ltd and underwritten by by AmTrust Europe Limited.
Our Comprehensive policies include a replacement car as standard if an approved repairer is repairing your car following an accident in the UK.
For an additional cost you can add Replacement Car Extension to your policy. With this cover we can also offer you a replacement car if yours is stolen or written off - keeping you mobile and giving you time to find and purchase a new vehicle.
NEW - We now also include a £100 cash benefit, which could help towards things like replacement car delivery costs or pre-purchase vehicle inspections. There are no restrictions on what you choose to spend the money on though; the pay-out is automatic and there’s no need to send in any receipts.
Saga Replacement Car Extension is provided by Acromas Insurance Company Limited, which meets our high standards of quality and service.
Regardless of whose fault it is, if you or your named spouse/domestic partner are seriously injured as a result of an accident involving your car, our Comprehensive policies include £5,000 compensation for selected serious injuries as standard. Increased Personal Accident extends cover for serious injuries from £5,000 up to £50,000 per person and covers a wider range of injuries. It also includes cover up to £250 for physiotherapy, including for whiplash.
NEW - We’ve doubled several of the injury payments and made many other upgrades too. For example, we now pay £300 for a one-night hospital stay and £200 for each consecutive night, up to a total of 14. Family members in your vehicle are also now covered, and you and your named spouse/partner are even covered when driving borrowed vehicles. We also cover up to £250 for counselling therapy.
We’re always looking for ways to improve our cover and give you great value, so we’ve introduced these improvements to existing customers. This means that you can be safe in the knowledge that with Saga, if we can ever give our customers more, we always will.
Increased Personal Accident cover is arranged and administered by Arc Legal Assistance Ltd and underwritten by by AmTrust Europe Limited.