How does Saga's 3-year fixed price home insurance work?
Saga’s 3-year fixed price is a benefit of our Saga Plus cover level. You’ll get a comprehensive policy that covers you for buildings, contents, or both with excellent features, such as accidental damage cover, included as standard — plus the additional benefit of knowing your price will stay the same for three years!
We’ll fix the price of your policy and any additional cover options added at the start. The price will only change if one or more of the following happens:
- You make any changes to your policy
- You make a claim for accidental damage or accidental loss or any claim made under the personal belongings section of your cover
- The rate of Insurance Premium Tax changes.
See the bottom of the page for full 3-year fixed price T&Cs.
Please note that the Saga Plus cover level (and therefore our 3-year fixed price) is only available for main homes that are permanently occupied and don't have lodgers.
Our policies are underwritten by several different insurers. We handpick these companies very carefully, and make sure they have the same high standards of quality and service as we do. If you buy a policy from us you’ll see the name of the underwriter(s) in your policy documents.
Is Saga Plus a three-year insurance policy?
No, your Saga Home Insurance policy will run for 12 months at a time. Towards the end of the year, we'll invite you to renew your policy. If your details haven't changed your price will be the same as what you paid in the first year - even after most claims*.
*Based on claims made in 2019 and 2020.
Once you've checked the details over, you’ll be able to easily renew your fixed price home insurance policy online or over the phone, if you prefer.
Fixed price cover with no ties
You’re not tied into your Saga policy for the full three years. Whether you choose to stay with us when it’s time to renew is entirely up to you. With Saga Plus, you're free to leave at any time. If you cancel your policy, we won't charge you a cancellation fee.
Is 3-year fixed price home insurance a good deal?
If you choose our Saga Plus cover level, your price will be fixed for three years. This means that you can choose to stay with us for three years, if you wish, safe in the knowledge that your home is covered. You’ll be protected against price increases due to market changes and saved from any surprises when it’s time to renew. You are, of course, free to shop around each year at renewal – you’re not tied in.
When comparing home insurance policies, it’s important to look at the cover in detail not just the price. The cheapest option might not fit your needs and you won’t necessarily find out until you need to make a claim.
What is covered by the Saga Plus policy?
Saga Plus is our top cover level and includes all the bells and whistles that are usually optional extras on other policies, including accidental damage, cover for personal belongings outside the home (such as mobile phones), damage caused by pets, and matching set replacement (this includes important matching items such as your kitchen cupboards and bathroom suite).
What happens if I move house?
If you move house during the three years, you’ll need to let us know. We'll recalculate the cost of your home insurance for your new home and then this price will be fixed for the remaining time of your 3-year fixed price insurance.
If you have our buildings cover, your new home can be covered for the time between exchanging contracts (or concluding the missives in Scotland) until you move in, as long as it’s within eight weeks. This cover is only in place when agreed by Saga so please contact us on 0800 056 9060 to arrange this cover prior to exchanging contracts on your new home.
If you have our contents cover, we'll automatically cover loss of or damage to your furniture, soft furnishings and free-standing kitchen appliances in your new home for seven days before you move in.
Please see the new home sections of the Policy Book for full details.
3-year fixed price terms and conditions
- Saga’s 3-year Fixed Price is offered to you for a 3-year period. Your first year’s total price (including the arrangement fee and the price of any additional cover options taken out at the start of your 3-year Fixed Price period) is the price at which your policy is set, dependent on these Saga 3-year Fixed Price terms and conditions.
- The 3-year Fixed Price applies to a policy taken out at the start of the 3-year Fixed Price period and renewed for the following two years. You may cancel your policy at any time, in accordance with the terms of your Policy Book, and your 3-year Fixed Price will end. On cancellation, the arrangement fee is non-refundable; however, no cancellation fee will be charged.
- During the 3-year Fixed Price period, if Saga is able to offer you a lower price than the price provided to you at the start of your 3-year Fixed Price period, then the lower price would apply for any remaining renewal periods.
- The price of your insurance may change during the 3-year Fixed Price period if:
- You make any changes to your policy or change your cover options at any time. If any change you make leads to a change in the price of your policy, this price change will take effect at the time that you make the change and will continue for any remaining renewal periods.
- You make a claim for accidental damage or accidental loss or any claim made under the personal belongings section of your cover. Your price will not be affected by claims made under any other section of your policy. If any claim you make leads to a change in the price of your policy, this price change will not take effect until the next renewal after the claim and will continue for any remaining renewal period.
- There is a change to Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). Any change in IPT will be included in the insurance price for any subsequent renewals during the 3-year Fixed Price period.
- There is a change to Value Added Tax (VAT) for Annual Boiler Service. Any change in VAT relating to your Annual Boiler Service will be included in the insurance price for any subsequent renewals during the 3-year Fixed Price period.
- The 3-year Fixed Price and your insurance cover will be provided subject to the terms of the Policy Book, the Schedule, and Endorsements to the Policy Book. Saga or the Underwriters may change the policy wording, schedule or include an endorsement at any time, which could result in changes to your excess (the first part of any claim that you must pay). Any change will be communicated to you in writing.
- Very significant changes to your policy or to the Underwriter’s risk criteria or unfavourable insurance market conditions which materially affect the risk of insuring you, may mean that Saga cannot reasonably identify an insurer who will provide insurance to you. If this is the case we will not be able to offer you cover.
- The Saga 3-year Fixed Price is not available with our Select cover level.
- The Saga 3-year Fixed Price is provided by Saga Services Limited (Saga) a company registered in England with registered number 732602, whose registered office is The Saga Building, Enbrook Park, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE. Saga is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority. The Saga 3-year Fixed Price is part of the service that Saga provides to you. The 3-year Saga Fixed Price is not offered to you by the panel of insurers that underwrites your insurance policy.