Skip to main content
Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine

Over 80s home insurance

Wherever you call home, keep it protected with over 80s home insurance
Get a quote Retrieve a quote Contact us
Defaqto 5 star rated

Keep your home and belongings safe with 3-year fixed price over 80s home insurance (if nothing changes*)

*Terms and conditions apply.

Whether you’ve been living in the same home for many years or have moved into a retirement village, sheltered housing or care home, Saga Home Insurance will meet your needs. For protecting your buildings and their contents, find out what our Saga Plus and Saga Select over 80s home insurance policies cover, and which one is best for you.

Can I get cheaper home insurance if I’m over 80?

There are some great advantages to reaching a more mature age, and sometimes more competitively priced house insurance for over 80s is one of them.

If you’re an experienced homeowner you’ll know what it takes to care for your property and you’ll know how to avoid common issues like burst pipes. You might be a member of a neighbourhood watch scheme, or have a burglar alarm installed, keeping security issues to a minimum on your home. Because of these common sense ways of caring for your properties, people over 80 tend to make fewer home insurance claims, so the premiums offered can be lower.

But as well as general assumptions about your age, insurers take into account the size, type and characteristics of your property, including its location, the value of its contents, and your previous claims history.

Find out more and get an over 80s home insurance quote

What does over 80s home insurance cover?

Home insurance for over 80s is made up of two different types of cover:

  • Buildings insurance – covers repairing or rebuilding your home’s structure, including things like the roof, walls, and permanent fixtures and fittings.
  • Contents insurance – covers repairing or replacing your home’s contents in the case of theft, loss or damage.

You can get insurance cover in separate buildings and contents policies or you can get combined cover in a single policy.

Saga offers two levels of over 80s home insurance, Saga Plus and Saga Select. Our policies are all aimed at an over 50s age group, and offer benefits that appeal most to your needs at this stage of your life.

With Saga Plus, our policies include the following:

  • A 3-year fixed price – budget more easily as your price won't increase for three years, if nothing changes. You can make changes to your policy when you need to (although this could affect your premium) and you don’t have to renew each year unless you want to. Find out more and read T&Cs.
  • Claims promise – most claims won’t affect your fixed price (based on claims made in 2019 and 2020).
  • No cancellation fee – cancel during the year if you want to without being charged a cancellation fee.
  • High policy limits - Up to £1 million cover for buildings and up to £100,000 for contents as standard. Even higher cover limits are available with Saga TailorMade Home Insurance.
  • Matching sets cover – if something that’s part of a set gets broken (like your bathroom sink for example), if we can’t repair or replace it to match, we’ll replace the whole set.

You can also add optional extras to your cover, including personal belongings cover away from home up to £10,000 per incident, Saga Home Emergency with unlimited callouts, and Legal Expenses including an Online Safety Support Service.

With the right Saga over 80s home insurance policy for you, you won’t have to worry:

  • If any damage happens to your home by accident, such as spilling coffee on a favourite rug, cracking a kitchen floor tile, or stains or damage due to illness (Accidental damage is covered as standard with Saga Plus and an optional extra with Saga Select).
  • If you need to make changes like install wheelchair ramps after an accident at home or need to improve security following any criminal activity – our trauma cover can help (See the Policy Books for full details).
  • If you need to leave your home empty, for instance if you are moving before selling, have an extended stay in hospital or are going on a long holiday. Up to 60 days in a row home unoccupancy is included as standard.
  • If you lose vital items such as hearing aids or glasses when you’re away from home with personal belongings cover in place (Cover for unspecified personal belongings up to £2,500 per item is included as standard with Saga Plus or can be added to a Saga Select policy for an additional charge).
  • If there’s any damage to your garden. Its contents are covered up to £5,000 with Saga Plus or up to £1,000 with Saga Select, including lawn furniture, children's play equipment, ornaments, flowers and shrubs.

Our policies are underwritten by several different insurers. We handpick these companies very carefully, and make sure they have the same high standards of quality and service as we do. If you buy a policy from us you’ll see the name of the underwriter(s) in your policy documents.

Find out more about our house and contents insurance

Do I need over 80s home insurance if I live in a retirement home?

Buildings insurance should be covered by the retirement home you move into, as you are not the owner of the building, although you may be paying a contribution to this via any management fees.

This might not cover your belongings, so contents insurance for residents may be needed separately to protect personal possessions.

Saga do offer policies for single-room contents cover up to £10,000 for retirement/care homes, please call 0800 015 0521 to get a personalised quote.

You should check what’s included under the retirement home’s insurance policy before moving in.

Does over 80s home insurance cover mobility scooters?

Saga’s over 80s home insurance covers mobility scooters as long as they are not registered for road use. Mobility scooters must always be specified on the policy to be covered away from home - they do not fall under unspecified personal belongings, regardless of value. The same applies for electric wheelchairs (and golf buggies). We'll also include cover for your personal legal liability when operating these mobility devices, just in case.

Other insurers don’t always cover mobility aids such as your mobility scooter or electric wheelchair. Whether you are covered or not may depend on if the mobility scooter is registered for road use. Cover might be available as an additional option, or you might need to take out specialist mobility scooter cover.

You should always inform your insurer if you have a mobility scooter, or other motorised mobility device, and check your policy documents, so you know exactly what’s covered.

Why choose Saga home insurance for over 80s?

Saga is an award-winning over 80s home insurance provider, and we’re really proud of our Defaqto 5-Star rating, which we have had for seven years in a row.

Defaqto’s independent star rating system helps customers identify where a product sits in the marketplace in terms of features, quality and comprehensiveness, and we sit at the top of their ratings.

Our Saga Plus home insurance cover level comes with a 3-year fixed price deal, if nothing changes (find out more), so you know exactly what premium you’ll pay for your over 80s home insurance.

Our customers love our over 80s home insurance too, voting us best home insurance provider at the independent Insurance Choice Awards for two years running.

At the 2022 Consumer Intelligence Awards, our home insurance won four categories – for customer recommended, customer trust, claims satisfaction and customer satisfaction.

Saga provides home insurance only for the over 50s. You can be sure we know the market, understand what our customers want, and can provide affordable tailored cover that meets your needs every time.

Want to know more? Get a home insurance quote online