Skip to main content

Be Brexit ready

Don't let politics get in the way of your holiday plans this year. Here are the answers to the questions you may have about travelling to Europe after Brexit.

20% average online discount*

Get a quote Retrieve a quote Contact us

Travel insurance after Brexit - Your questions answered

(Last updated 29 March 2019)

Although we don’t yet know exactly what Brexit will mean for travel in the EU, having travel insurance in place will mean you can continue to plan your European holidays with confidence. Here are the answers to some of the questions you may have about travelling after Brexit.

Can I take out insurance for a trip that departs after Brexit?

Yes. If you have already booked a trip and you don’t have a travel insurance policy, it could be a good idea to take out insurance as soon as possible. This will ensure you are covered for anything unexpected, including cancellation. If you are currently planning a trip, it is advisable to take out insurance when you book the holiday.

Can I still buy an annual travel insurance policy that covers Europe?

Yes. Saga will still offer multi-trip policies that cover Europe.

Will I need a visa to travel to EU countries after Brexit?

Unfortunately, we are unable to answer this question at the moment. This has been discussed in parliament and the media, but no decision has yet been made. We will be able to provide an update once more information is available.

Will flights to Europe still operate after Brexit?

The UK government and the EU have advised that they must have provisions in place to ensure flights continue to operate as usual between the UK and EU. Having travel insurance in place will ensure you are covered for any unforeseen events.

Can I make a claim on my insurance if my holiday is cancelled?

If, as a result of Brexit, an unexpected event occurred that you could not have been aware of at the time of buying your policy, you would be able to claim subject to normal policy conditions.

Will my passport still be valid?

If there’s a no deal Brexit, it will be a requirement to have at least six months left on your passport from the date of arrival in EU countries. If you renewed a 10-year adult passport before it expired, extra months may be added to your passport’s expiry date - these extra months will not count towards the 6 months that must be remaining. It would be wise to check your passport now in case you need to renew it sooner than you thought.

Will my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) be valid after Brexit?

Your EHIC is currently valid. However, if there’s a no-deal Brexit it’s likely that it will no longer be valid after that. It is, therefore, more important than ever to ensure you have a good level of travel insurance in place.

Will I still be able to use my mobile phone in the EU after Brexit?

At present there are no additional charges for using your UK registered mobile phone within the EU. There is a possibility that charges may apply following a no-deal Brexit. Charges may differ depending on your network provider, speak directly to your provider for the most up-to-date information.

Can I drive my car in the EU after Brexit?

If there’s a no-deal Brexit, to ensure your UK car insurance is applicable in the EU, you will be required to carry a Green Card with you. Speak with your insurer to request a Green Card for any trip after Brexit - if your car is insured by Saga, please call 0800 056 1472 and we will send a Green Card to you.

Can I take my pet to the EU after Brexit?

In the event of a no-deal, pets will continue to be able to travel from the UK to the EU, but the requirements for documents and health checks will change. You will need to discuss preparations for your pet’s travel with your vet at least four months before you wish to travel.

You can find further details on how Brexit might affect your travel plans at

If you have a trip booked, choose Saga Travel Insurance for cover that gives you confidence.

Saga’s range of insurance products is designed specifically for our customers and is unique to us. Saga Travel Insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, which meets our high standards of quality and service.