Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine
Back Back to benefits Go to benefits
Search Magazine

Can I be compensated for a neighbour’s extension?

John Conlin / 03 January 2017

Advice from chartered surveyor John Conlin could help.

A builder builds a brick wall for a house extension


My neighbour has applied for planning permission for an extension that will fill the gap between our two houses making mine semi-detached and reducing its value. 

Can I claim compensation?

Spruce up your house and add kerb appeal


Assuming that your neighbour already owns the land up to the side of your house compensation is unlikely. 

However, if your neighbour’s extension is going to incorporate your side wall or its foundations a Party Wall agreement will be necessary and you may be able to make a ‘Section 11’claim under the Party Wall Act 1996 for the structural use of your wall. 

Seek advice from a chartered surveyor specialising in party wall awards.

What to do about a neighbour's tatty fence

Try 12 issues of Saga Magazine

Subscribe today for just £29 for 12 issues...

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.