Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine
Search Magazine

Does chocolate toxicity build up in a dog?

Dr Pete Wedderburn / 19 March 2019

A reader is worried after she found her grandson feeding chocolate to the dog.

Dog eyeing up treats on the table
After catching her grandson feeding chocolate to the dog his grandmother is concerned about toxicity build-up

Question

I saw my grandson trying to feed my dog a bit of his chocolate. I immediately stopped him and told him not to, but I’m worried he might have done it before. I’ve heard chocolate can build up in a dog’s system, are there symptoms I should watch out for?

Question

Chocolate is dangerous to dogs (e.g. a small bar can kill a small dog), but it’s metabolised within 24 hours, so there is no risk of cumulative toxicity. It’s still a bad idea to give dogs tiny chocolate treats: they may not poison the animal, but they give a dog the taste for chocolate, making it more likely that they’ll seek it out (e.g. in boxes of chocolates on the table).

Dogs have an exquisitely sensitive sense of smell, and they’re able to detect chocolate through several layers of wrapping and cellophane. The big risk is a dog stealing a stash of chocolate and then suffering fatal consequences from an overdose.

Try 12 issues of Saga Magazine

Subscribe today for just £29 for 12 issues...



Disclaimer

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.

Related Topics