Skip to main content
Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine

Buildings Insurance

Feel secure and protected with buildings insurance up to £1 million
Get a quote Retrieve a quote Contact us
Defaqto 5 star rated Which recommended provided of home insurance logo for march 2022

5 star rated buildings insurance cover with a 3-year fixed price

Because it’s more than bricks and mortar, you want to be sure you have the right cover in place should the unexpected happen to your home. Saga’s award-winning buildings insurance is available with a 3-year fixed price, if nothing changes, so you can rest easy knowing you’re protected for the future.

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance protects your home against the unexpected, making sure that you can afford to repair damage caused by events such as fires, floods, or storms. The price of buildings insurance is determined by the type, size, value and location of your property, and should cover the full cost of rebuilding your house from the ground up, including outbuildings.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance typically covers damage to walls, windows and the roof, and to permanent fixtures and fittings such as baths, toilets and fitted kitchens. It will also cover costs against damage to garages, sheds and garden walls, and the cost of replacing items such as pipes, cables and drains.

At Saga, our 5-star rated Saga Plus buildings insurance cover includes:

  • A 3-year fixed price - with Saga Plus your price won’t go up for three years, if nothing changes. You can make changes to your policy whenever you need to, and you don’t have to renew if you don’t want to. T&Cs apply
  • Claims promise - most claims won’t affect the price, based on claims made in 2019 and 2020
  • No cancellation fee - cancel during the year if you want to – we won't charge you a cancellation fee
  • Accidental damage - cover for everyday mishaps causing damage to your home or its fixtures & fittings
  • Alternative accommodation - if you can't live in your home during a claim
  • Extended cover - for when your home is unoccupied for up to 60 days in a row, such as if you go on a long holiday
  • Trace, access and repair of water and oil leaks - finding and fixing a water or oil leak in your home, even if caused by wear and tear, up to sum insured with Saga Plus or up to £5,000 with Saga Select.

Saga Plus includes even more great features for buildings insurance cover and a price that stays the same for three years. You can find out more in the 3-year fixed price terms and conditions.

Saga Select is our no-nonsense cover. While it doesn’t come with our 3-year fixed price or other extra features you get with Saga Plus, it’s still 5-star Defaqto Rated. And you can also add optional extras.

Which? Recommended Provider of home insurance

Saga has been named a Which? Recommended Provider of home insurance for 2022. Consumer champion Which? only endorses the best products and services. As a completely independent organisation, the granting of Which? Recommended Provider status truly reflects what they think – not what someone else wants them to say.

Not sure which buildings insurance policy to choose? Compare the two policies and decide which one will best suit your needs.

A choice of cover levels

Situation Saga Select Saga Plus
A violent storm damages your roof Yes Yes
(Up to £1m)
You lose your keys and need new locks fitted to your external doors Yes Yes
(Up to £5,000) (Up to £1m)
You need to stay in alternative accommodation while your home is being repaired during a claim Yes Yes
(Up to £100,000) (Up to £1m)
You put a hot pan on the kitchen worktop and damage the surface Optional Yes
(Up to £1m)
Your flooring has to be replaced because we took it up to trace and fix a leaking water pipe Yes Yes
(Up to £5,000 (Up to sum insured)
You damage the bath while doing DIY and it can’t be repaired or replaced to match the sink and toilet – we will replace the whole set No Yes
(Up to £1m)
3-year fixed price - if nothing changes you can expect to pay the same price for 3 years, even after most claims (T&C apply). No Yes

What to know more? Get a quote

If you need higher cover limits (more than £100,000 for your contents or £1 million for your buildings insurance), have a look at Saga TailorMade Home Insurance.

What isn’t covered by buildings insurance?

A buildings insurance policy will typically not cover general wear and tear, damage caused by neglecting your property and bad workmanship, but exclusions vary between providers.

Saga Plus and Saga Select policies do not cover the following:

  • The cost of preparing a claim
  • Loss or damage caused by wear and tear or gradual deterioration
  • Loss or damage caused by subsidence, ground heave or landslip to boundary and garden walls, gates, hedges, fences, paths, terraces, drives, patios, permanently-built swimming pools or ornamental pools, tennis courts, septic tanks, or central-heating gas or oil tanks unless your home is damaged at the same time by the same cause
  • Movement to solid floor slabs unless the foundations beneath the outside walls of your home are damaged at the same time by the same cause
  • Settlement
  • Swelling or shrinking of infill materials
  • The coast or river bank being worn away
  • Storm or flood to timber gates, fences and hedges
  • Structural changes, structural repairs or demolition
  • Faulty workmanship, faulty design or using faulty materials
  • Lopping, topping or felling of trees on your property
  • Malicious acts or vandalism by you or any persons lawfully in your home
  • Malicious acts or vandalism, escape of water or theft or attempted theft when your home is unoccupied or unfurnished
  • Mechanical or electrical fault, failure or breakdown
  • Any excess stated in your policy

For full details on what is covered by Saga Plus and Saga Select buildings cover please see the Policy Book.

How does buildings insurance differ from contents insurance?

Buildings only insurance covers the structure of the home insured and its fixtures and fittings, as well as any outbuildings. Contents insurance covers items of value kept within the home and sometimes when you take those items outside.

Home and buildings insurance are sometimes used as interchangeable terms, which might make you wonder if buildings insurance is the same as home insurance. In a policy you can buy cover for your buildings insurance and then cover for your contents insurance. Some policies cover both buildings and contents together and just refer to this as home insurance to keep things simple.

At Saga we offer separate policies for buildings and contents, or we can combine buildings and contents insurance together, as we believe in making our insurance simple to understand and easy for you to make a claim when necessary.

How much should I insure my building for?

Your home needs to have buildings insurance cover for the amount it would cost to rebuild the property today, rather than the current market value or the amount you bought it for. If your home is damaged or destroyed in an accident, buildings insurance will cover the cost of rebuilding it, including clearing the land and architect fees.

Getting the amount you are insured for right is important as with too little buildings insurance you could be left short when it comes to needing to rebuild your home.

Do you need buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance cover isn’t a legal requirement in the UK, but if you have a mortgage on your property then the mortgage provider won't usually lend money for the mortgage without it.

If you own your home outright, it’s still a good idea to have annual buildings insurance in place to guard against unexpected costs. If you are buying a new home, you should have cover in place when you exchange contracts, as that’s when you become financially responsible for the property.

Having buildings insurance means that you will be covered for what can be very high costs if your home is damaged and in need of major repairs or even a complete rebuild.

How do I work out the rebuild value of my house?

Buildings insurance costs depend on the rebuild value of your home, and while property prices vary across the country, the costs of labour and materials for a rebuild are more consistent.

The cost to rebuild a home from standard materials will usually be less than its market value, but if you have a home that is built of non-standard materials (that is, not brick, stone or concrete), or that is listed or has special architectural features, rebuild costs may be higher.

For standard-built homes, you can use an online calculator from the Building Cost Information Service to give you an idea of the rebuild value of your house.

For most standard properties we offer buildings cover of up to £1 million, so we don't usually need to ask you for your exact rebuild cost. The times when we will ask are:

  • If the property was built before 1850
  • If the property has six or more bedrooms
  • If the property is a listed building (any grade)

Want to know more?

Get a quote

Our home insurance policies are provided by a number of insurers that all meet our high standards of quality and service.