Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
2 pairs of feet with socks on pressing against a radiator


Add boiler cover to your landlord insurance for extra peace of mind

Insure your tenants’ home against boiler failure with landlord boiler cover

You never know when the boiler in your buy-to-let property might break down. Boiler cover for landlords protects you and your tenants from unexpected eventualities, providing cover if the boiler, heating controls or main heating system suddenly fail.

What is landlord boiler cover?

Landlord boiler cover is an insurance policy that covers boiler failure in your buy-to-let property.

If the boiler breaks down and your tenants are left without heating or hot water, it’s your responsibility to get it sorted. Our boiler cover for landlords helps to cover the cost of repairing it, saving you from an expensive and inconvenient payout.

Our standard landlord insurance doesn’t include boiler cover, but you can add Saga Home and Heating Emergency with boiler cover to your policy at any time by calling 0800 027 1355.

Do I need boiler cover as a landlord?

Boiler cover isn’t legally required, but it will make it easier to get the boiler repaired in your tenants’ home if anything goes wrong.

With Saga Home and Heating Emergency, we’re on hand to assist with claims 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Not only do we help cover the costs of repairing a boiler, saving you from worrying about your finances. We also appoint the required suppliers, saving you the struggle of finding qualified tradespeople at short notice.

What does landlord boiler insurance cover?

  • Our boiler cover for landlords provides cover for a sudden and complete breakdown of the boiler, heating controls and main heating system.
  • We’ll find the right suppliers for the job, and pay up to £2,000 per emergency for call out, labour, parts, materials and VAT. And there’s no limit to how many times you can claim.
  • If your boiler is beyond repair and needs replacing, we’ll contribute towards the cost of a new one. Replace your boiler within 60 days of the call out, send us the receipt and we’ll reimburse you up to £250. If the house becomes uninhabitable for your tenant as a result of boiler failure we also include overnight accommodation for up to three nights.
  • We also understand that you may not always be available to deal with boiler issues in your buy-to-let property, which is why we’ve made it possible for your tenants to deal with any emergency on your behalf.

What isn’t included in landlord boiler cover?

Our landlord boiler insurance covers against complete boiler failure, which means partial failures and other circumstances aren’t covered. These include:

  • Repairs or replacement of cold water storage tanks, immersion heaters and pressure pumps.
  • Repairs that require a chemical flush of your boiler or main heating system.
  • Repairs required as a result of design faults or installation errors.
  • Non-domestic boilers, any form of solar heating or any ground or air source heat pumps.
  • Adjustments to the central heating controls, including the relighting of the pilot light/flame.

Home emergency cover is only for unforeseen failures and problems, so we can’t cover maintenance issues or problems that worse gradually over time. This isn't an exhaustive list. You should always check the Policy Book for full details of exclusions.

Can I claim immediately on landlord boiler cover?

Your insurance doesn’t cover any events or emergencies that happen before the start of your insurance period or within the first 14 days. The 14-day restriction only applies to new policies - it doesn’t apply when you renew your cover.

Who are Saga's landlord insurance policies underwritten by?

Saga’s range of insurance products is designed specifically for our customers and is unique to us. Saga Landlord Insurance is provided by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd which meets our high standards of quality and service.

Saga Home Emergency Insurance is provided by Inter Partner Assistance S.A, part of the AXA group.

Get a quote for Landlord Boiler Cover

You can add landlord boiler and central heating cover as an optional extra when you take out landlord insurance. Get a quote for landlord insurance online, or give us a call to add Home and Heating Emergency to your existing insurance policy.

0800 027 1355

Mon - Fri: 8:30am - 7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 3:00pm

Get a quote Retrieve a quote