1. Lightly grease the outside of four small bowls. Cover your work area with lots of greaseproof paper (this can get messy!). Place the greased bowls upside down onto this surface, oiled side now facing up.
2. Place half of the sugar into a non stick frying pan and gently heat. As the sugar starts to melt add the remaining sugar. Stir until a golden syrup consistency is formed. This should take about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. The syrup will thicken as it cools.
3. Using a spoon quickly drizzle the sticky sugar solution over each bowl to form a nest. It is important to do this as an up and down and circular motion so the nest will mesh together.Try to make a lattice on the bowls to get a good mesh.
4. Leave for a couple of minutes to cool then carefully remove the sugar cases from the bowls.
5. Place the nests onto serving dishes and fill with balls of Christmas pudding and balls of icecream and raspberries.
6. Serve and eat immediately – they will melt quickly.
Our thanks to The Vegetarian Society for providing this recipe. Click here for more vegetarian Christmas recipes.