1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the walnuts onto a baking tray and toast in the oven for 8-12 minutes, or until tinged golden brown and fragrant.
3. Toast the caraway seeds in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Place 1 tsp of the seeds in a pestle and mortar and grind to a powder, setting the rest aside.
4. Roughly chop the beetroot and place into a food processor along with the lemon juice, garlic, walnuts, sour cream and ground caraway seeds.
5. Tear the bread into chunks and add to the processor, then blitz until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with the remaining caraway seeds and chopped dill. Drizzle over the walnut oil to finish.
7. Serve with crudité and rye crackers or toasted dark rye bread.
Our thanks to California Walnuts for providing this recipe
Visit our canapé recipe section for more party food ideas