Up to £100,000 contents insurance cover for over 50s at a 3-year fixed price*
*As long as nothing changes, T&Cs apply.
It’s the things you gather round you that make your house a home, and when you’ve collected valuable items that make life more enjoyable, you don’t want to risk losing them to accident, damage or theft. Saga’s award-winning contents insurance available with a 3-year fixed price lets you enjoy the things you love without fear of loss.
What is contents insurance?
Home contents insurance covers the costs of replacing items in your home that have been destroyed, damaged or stolen. The contents of your home are the things you would take with you when you move, and so this means all your belongings except the building they are in and its fixtures and fittings.
You can buy house contents insurance as a standalone product, or you can combine it with buildings insurance in a combined home insurance policy.
What does contents insurance cover?
Contents insurance is designed to replace all the contents in your property, including household goods, electrical items and valuables. It covers your possessions against:
- Theft – if your camera, DVD player or jewellery are stolen when your home is burgled, you can replace them.
- Fire – if your furnishings are damaged or destroyed in a fire, you are covered for new ones.
- Accidental damage – you can get cover for if you break your TV, drop and smash your tablet or sit on your glasses (included with Saga Plus, optional with Saga Select).
You also have the option to add cover for accidental damage or loss of personal items when you take those items out with you, like if you lose your mobile phone when out walking. Your contents insurance can also include personal liability and emergency home cover to fix any urgent issues that come up, for example with plumbing or internal electrics.
Check your Policy Book for a full list of what is and isn't included in your contents insurance policy.
What does Saga contents insurance include?
With our 5-Star rated Saga Plus contents cover you get:
- A 3-year fixed price – with Saga Plus, as long as nothing changes, your price won’t go up for three years. You can make changes to your policy whenever you need to (although this could affect your premium), and you don’t have to renew if you don’t want to (T&Cs apply).
- Claims promise – most claims won’t affect the price - based on claims made in 2019 and 2020.
- No cancellation fee – cancel during the year if you want to – we won't charge you a cancellation fee.
- Choice of £75,000 or £100,000 contents cover – if you need more take a look at Saga TailorMade Home Insurance.
- No need to specify single items – valued under £2,500, such as jewellery and paintings kept at home.
- Up to £1,000 for lock replacement – for lost or stolen keys (or up to sum insured on our Saga Plus cover level).
- Optional £10,000 personal belongings cover – unspecified items up to £2,500 when you take them out and about with you anywhere in the world (included as standard with Saga Plus).
- Personal liability cover – up to £2 million anywhere in the world.
Which? Recommended Provider of home insurance
Saga has been named a Which? Recommended Provider of home insurance for 2022. Consumer champion Which? only endorses the best products and services. As a completely independent organisation, the granting of Which? Recommended Provider status truly reflects what they think – not what someone else wants them to say.
Our policies are underwritten by several different insurers. We handpick these companies very carefully, and make sure they have the same high standards of quality and service as we do. If you buy a policy from us you’ll see the name of the underwriter(s) in your policy documents.
Want to know more? Get a contents insurance quote.
Don’t need that much cover? We also offer Saga Select. While it doesn’t come with our 3-year fixed price or other extra features you get with Saga Plus, it’s still 5-star Defaqto rated. And you can also add optional extras.
What’s the best contents insurance for you?
Not sure which one to choose?
Use the table below to compare the two policies and find the best contents insurance for you.
|Situation||Saga Select||Saga Plus|
|3-year fixed price - as long as there are no changes you can expect to pay the same price for 3 years (T&Cs apply)||No||Yes|
|Up to £100,000 cover for your contents||Yes||Yes|
|Accidental damage - covers sudden and unexpected damage to the contents in your home that you own, including TV, spectacles, hearing aids, rugs, curtains, carpets, and more||Optional||Yes|
|Personal belongings - cover your possessions, such as your mobile phone or tablet, anywhere in the world (single item limit £2,500)||Optional||Yes|
|No need to specify single items worth less than £2,500 (such as jewellery and paintings kept at home)||Yes||Yes|
|Garden cover - cover for loss of or damage to your plants, lawns, shrubs and garden contents within the property||Up to £1,000||Up to £5,000|
|Replacement of matching pairs or sets of items - for example, if a friend spills red wine on your sofa, and it can’t be cleaned or replaced to match the chairs, we will replace the whole suite||No||Yes|
|New for old contents cover - including clothing and linen||Yes||Yes|
|Damage caused by pets - including scratching, tearing, chewing or fouling||No||Yes|
|Lock replacements - if your keys are lost or stolen||Up to £1,000||Yes|
|Student cover - covers loss of or damage to contents while in temporary student accommodation, such as halls of residence||No||Yes|
|Trauma cover - if you make a claim (that's accepted) on this policy we'll pay up to £1,000 for professional counselling fees||Yes||Yes|
|Personal liability up to £2 million - for example, while playing golf you accidentally hit someone with the ball and they wish to claim against your personal liability for their injuries||Yes||Yes|
Want to know more? Get a quote.
If you need higher cover limits (more than £100,000 for your contents or £1 million for your buildings insurance), have a look at Saga TailorMade Home Insurance.
What does contents insurance not cover?
Contents only insurance doesn’t cover everything, and it’s worth checking your policy details to make sure you understand what is and isn’t covered. Your policy won’t cover:
- The building itself or its fixtures and fittings
- Your home if you are away for a prolonged period of time as an empty house is considered a higher risk
- Your possessions against general wear and tear or gradual deterioration
- Any business equipment worth over £5,000 if you are working from home
- Any loss or damage while your home or any part of it is lent, let, sublet or shared (excluding live-in carers), unless there is forcible and violent entry or exit
Who needs contents insurance?
You don’t need to take out contents insurance, but if you had to pay to replace your home and personal possessions it could be very costly.
Contents insurance protects you against the costs of having to replace all your items, and it can be tailored to how much you want to protect so that you have the right level of cover for your home.
If you don’t own the building you live in, you should still take out contents insurance for your possessions. Although your landlord, or the freeholder if you're a leaseholder, is responsible for buildings insurance, you will still need to have the things you own protected, and, if renting, that might include some things in the property belonging to your landlord.
How much contents insurance do you need?
To work out how much contents insurance you need, take some time to consider room by room which items you have that are worth insuring.
- Estimate a replacement price and make a list of each item.
- Research the price you would need to pay if you had to buy the items new. Saga policies work on a new for old basis, so you will be covered for a new item like the one you insure.
- If there are individual items worth over £2,500 kept at home, these should be added as named items.
- If you purchase new and valuable items after you’ve taken out your policy, you'll need to add these items to your cover.
With a complete up-to-date inventory to hand, you can feel comfortable that all your belongings are protected with the right amount of contents insurance.
Want to know more? Get a quote.