This strawberry boost is sweetened with Sweet Freedom. It’s a natural sweetener available in health food shops and large supermarkets, either on the ‘Free-from’ aisle or on a shelf next to sugar and other sweeteners. You can find gluten-free oats on the ‘Free-from’ aisle in most supermarkets.
Gluten-free, wheat-free, sugar-free, yeast-free, soya-free, egg-free, peanut-free, corn-free, vegetarian, nut-free*, low lactose*
- 15 g whole blanched almonds*
- 35 g gluten-free oats
- 200 g natural yogurt*
- 200 g strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 ml apple juice
- Sweet Freedom to taste
1. Blitz the almonds and the oats in a food processor or electric chopper.
2. Add the yogurt, strawberries, vanilla extract and apple juice and blitz until the mixture is smooth.
3. Taste and add Sweet Freedom if needed.
4. Pour into glasses and put in a refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. The longer you leave it, the more the oats will swell and the thicker the mixture will become. If it becomes too thick to your liking, just add more apple juice.
If you can’t eat nuts, substitute the almonds for the same amount of oats (so the total amount is 50 g). To make the treat low in lactose, use natural yogurt with probiotics (bio-cultures).
Copyright © Tarja Moles 2012.
Tarja Moles is the author of No Naughties: Sweet treats without sugar, wheat, gluten and yeast. You can find more information on living with dietary restrictions and free recipes on www.nonaughties.com