These pretty little cupcakes are egg and dairy-free, making them ideal for grandchildren with allergies or dietary requirements. The rich chocolatey flavour and the tart blackberries make a delicious combination.
1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan and line two bun tins with fairy cake size cases. In a bowl beat together the milk, sugar, oil and vanilla until combined.
2. Reserve 2tsp of flour then in a separate bowl sieve together the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until all combined. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the blackberries and gently shake them until they’re coated then gently stir into the batter.
3. Divide the mixture between the cake cases, bake for 20-24 minutes until the cakes spring back when you gently press the tops. Leave to cool completely.
4. While the cakes are cooling, make the icing. Roughly mash the blackberries and stir into the icing sugar.
5. When the cakes are cold spread the icing over and top with a whole blackberry.
These work best in smaller fairy cake cases. The cakes can cook and rise quickly without drying out. We’ve used almond milk but you can use any milk you prefer.
Per cake: 177 kcal, 3.9g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 24g sugar, 0.2g salt
Our thanks to www.berryworld.com for providing this recipe
Visit our vegan food section for more recipes free from meat, dairy and eggs