- Pre heat the oven to 200C, fan 180C/gas 6.
- Wash and trim the rhubarb, cut into finger-size pieces and place in a shallow dish or baking tray with light soft brown sugar and toss together.
- Roast for 20 minutes, carefully drain off any juices and set aside to cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Butter and line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Reserving 3 tbsp of the custard, beat the rest of the custard together with the butter, flour, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and golden caster sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Spoon one-third of the mixture into the tin, add some of the rhubarb, then dot with one-third more cake mix and spread it out as well as you can.
- Top with some more rhubarb, then spoon over the remaining cake mix, leaving it in rough mounds and dips.
- Scatter the rest of the rhubarb over the batter, then dot the remaining custard over.
- Bake for 40 mins until risen and golden, then cover with foil and bake for 15-20 mins more. It’s ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean!
- Cool in the tin and dredge with icing sugar when cool.
Our thanks to Whitworths Sugar for permission to use this recipe.
While rhubarb goes great in cake, did you know it also works well in a number of other great recipes?
If you’d rather stick to cakes though, why not our other great ideas, such as our almond and raspberry cake, or our tasty madeira cake?
For all our baking recipes, be sure to visit our baking section.