Don’t be tempted to stir in the toffee apple syrup; it is poured over the top of the sponge mix and will seep through during cooking to make a toffee sauce at the bottom, very sticky and absolutely delicious.
1. Grease the slow-cooker basin with the oil.
2. In a bowl, cream together the sugar and butter or margarine.
3. Beat the eggs and add to the creamed mixture along with the flour and vanilla extract. Stir in the apple pieces, then spoon the cake mixture into the basin. Smooth over to cover the base.
4. In a saucepan, heat the apple juice, golden syrup and sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
5. Pour the toffee apple syrup over the cake mix and put the lid on tightly.
6. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours until the pudding is just springy to the touch.
7. Serve warm from the slow cooker basin with vanilla ice cream.
The Slow Cooker Cookbook: Time-saving and Delicious Recipes for Busy Family Cooks by Audrey Deane, and published by Constable, is out now, priced £12.99.