1. Heat the oil in a large 1.7L/3pint ovenproof dish, add the onions, ginger, turmeric, paprika and seasoning. Cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the meat and garlic, coat in the flavoured oil and cook for 4-6 minutes until brown all over.
3. Add the saffron and water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
4. 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the cinnamon stick, thyme, apricots and coriander. Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
5. Remove the thyme and cinnamon stick from the tagine. Garnish with the the pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed couscous or rice.
This recipe works well in a low oven at gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F