- 8 portobello mushrooms
- 1 aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree*
- 150g mature Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* some brands may contain gluten, always check the label.
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
2. Put the mushrooms, gills facing up, into a roasting tin.
3. Take 8 slices from the aubergine (crossways, not lengthways), then chop any remaining aubergine finely.
4. Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan and briefly fry the aubergine slices for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan. Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan and cook the onion, pepper and chopped aubergine for 5-6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook gently for another 1-2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon half the tomato mixture into the mushrooms and top with a slice of aubergine. Spoon the rest of the tomato mixture on top, then sprinkle with the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve 2 mushrooms per person.
It helps if you can select mushrooms that are about the same size.
Serve two aubergine and mushroom stacks each as part of a main meal, or one each as a starter.
Nutritional information per portion
Energy 370 kcal
Carbohydrate 14g of which sugars 13.2g
Fat 27g of which saturates 10.1g
Sodium 0.5g or equivalent as salt 1.3g
Our thanks to www.justaddmushrooms.com for providing this recipe. Visit our mushroom recipes page for more great ideas for using mushrooms, including vegan mushroom and leek pie, mushroom bourguignon, and chicken, mushroom and tarragon pie.