1. Coarsely grate the courgettes on a box grater and place in a sieve over a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and leave to stand for ten minutes.
2. Squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the courgettes, then place them into a large mixing bowl with the spring onions, three eggs, flour, parmesan, baking powder, chilli flakes and some seasoning. Mix to combine.
3. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add about two tablespoons of the mixture to the pan for every fritter. Fry for about three minutes each side until golden and crisp. You should get twelve fritters out of the mixture.
4. While the fritters are cooking, bring a pan of water to just below a simmer. Stir the water to create a whirlpool effect. Crack an egg into a small bowl, and as the ‘whirlpool‘ is dying down, carefully drop the egg into the water. Leave to poach for about three minutes, until the white is set and the yolk is still runny. Then remove with a slotted spoon.
5. Serve two courgette fritters topped with a poached egg per person. Sprinkle with extra chilli for garnish. Serve with a tomato and rocket salad.
Our thanks to www.eggrecipes.co.uk for providing this recipe.
Try one of these other delicious courgette recipes