Choosing a profile picture
- Choose a recent photo that you feel confident about.
- Find at least one picture that shows you in a moment of pure joy, unaware of the camera and completely unfiltered.
- Include one image where you’re with friends or family.
- Select images that show more about you than how you look – perhaps on a trip or indulging in one of your hobbies.
Find love online with Saga Dating
- Upload photos from a decade ago. If you happen to meet someone who has done so, you’ll see what a shock it can be, even if the difference is subtle.
- Be afraid to put up photos that are less than perfect – it shows you’re confident and hearing: “You’re so much prettier than your pictures” is always nice!
- Choose shirtless or bikini shots – it sends the wrong message and sets the egomaniac alarm bells ringing.
- Include photos of you and your ex, even if it’s the best photo of you in existence. Wrong time, wrong place.
When it comes time to describe yourself on your online dating profile, it can start to feel alarmingly like a job interview. Don’t panic! Remember that your vital information (name, age, occupation) is already displayed on the page, so you can get straight down to the business of revealing a little of who you are through a great travel story, a fun anecdote or a description of why you love the things you love.
Identifying your interests
There are two keys when identifying your interests: be honest and be specific. Listing interests like reading because you’re hoping to attract an intellectual (but don’t enjoy it yourself) is dishonest and can make for a very awkward first date indeed.
Try not to be too generic. Think about the things you like on a broad level (like reading) and then list some of the authors or genres you love. This will paint a clearer picture and make you sound more interesting to potential matches.
The final word
Have fun with your online dating profile and use it as an opportunity to learn a little more about yourself and what you’re looking for in a potential match. And remember, there’s always an edit button if you get it wrong the first time!
Find love, romance and fun with Saga Dating, a site you can trust - we're members of the Online Dating Association. Set up your free profile today and browse over 100,000 potential matches.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.