Cream of Jerusalem artichoke soup
A tasty soup from The Garden to Kitchen Expert. Add crispy plain or garlic croutons before serving.
- 900 g (2lb) Jerusalem artichokes
- 1.2 litres (2 pints) chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian)
- 1–2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt, black pepper
- 100 g (3½ oz) butter
- 100 ml (3½ fl. oz) double cream
- 2 onions
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- Peel and slice artichokes, dropping them into water with lemon juice.
- Melt most of the butter in a large saucepan and fry chopped onions, celery and garlic over low heat for approx. 8 minutes to soften but not colour.
- Add drained artichokes and stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until artichokes are completely tender. Remove from the heat, cool for a few minutes, then blend in a blender.
- Return to the pan, reheat gently and whisk in seasoning, cream, parsley and remaining butter. Reheat gently before serving.
Recipe taken from The Garden To Kitchen Expert by Judith Wills and Dr DG Hessayon, priced £9.99.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.