1. Peel and chop the potatoes and boil until soft.
2. Mash the potatoes with the butter and salt.
3. In a bowl combine the flour and baking powder and add the mash. Using your hands combine it all together to form a dough.
4. On a well-floured board roll out the dough to the thickness of a pound coin.
5. Use a large side plate as a template and cut out circles.
6. Score each circle into quarters (but keep as a whole).
7. Heat a large frying pan and add a small knob of butter. Once melted, lightly fry each circle on a medium heat, turning half way through.
8. Once cooked, separate the quarters and serve with topping of choice – we recommend black pudding or lorne sausage and egg for a Scottish breakfast, spinach and egg for a vegetarian breakfast or spinach and tofu scramble for a vegan breakfast.
Our thanks to Seasonal Spuds for this recipe
For more delicious ways to start the day visit our breakfast and brunch recipe section