1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan oven) gas mark 6. Mix together the sugar, spice, flour and orange zest.
2 Peel and core the apples, then cut into thick slices. Put in a bowl and pour over the orange juice.
3. Put half the apple slices and blackberries in the base of a 20cm pie dish <> and sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Add the remaining apples and blackberries, then cover with the remaining sugar mixture and pour over any orange juice left in the bowl.
4. Cut off 25g pastry and roll out on a lightly floured board into a thin 1.25cm strip – you can do this in two or three pieces if you like. Dampen the edge of the pie dish with a little water then put the thin strip of pastry along the edge.
5. Roll out the remaining pastry to make a round to fit the top of the pie. Dampen the thin pastry strip with water, then lift up the pie top using the rolling pin and cover the pie. Use the end of a round-bladed knife to seal the pastry edges together.
6. Brush the whole of the pie with water, sprinkle over 1tsp granulated sugar, then cut two holes in the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 180ºC (160C fan oven) gas mark 4 and continue to cook for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm with cream, custard or ice cream.
Our thanks to www.bramleyapples.co.uk for providing this recipe.
Visit our apple recipe section for more delicious recipes.