1. Heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2. Pour boiling water over the currants, cranberries and pink peppercorns to just cover, and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
3. Mix the brown sugar and mixed candied peel together with the Cointreau.
4. Drain the currants and add to the sugar mixture, stirring well.
5. Core the apples and use the tip of a sharp knife to cut around the diameter of each apple to prevent the skins from bursting.
6. Place in an ovenproof dish, and fill each one to overflowing with the fruit mixture.
7. Add the wine, water or juice to the dish and bake for 35 minutes or until tender.
8. When serving, drizzle with the sweet juices left behind, making sure a few pink peppercorns are visible on top.
Our thanks to www.pinkladyapples.co.uk for providing this recipe.
Try one of our other apple recipes for tasty autumnal puddings, including apple and cinnamon strudel, blackberry and apple upside down cake and Bramley apple cheesecake